Search This Blog

Sunday, June 29, 2008

You can be the Butler...

Okay...

In an extremely nice neighborhood of a loved one is where I chose to allow my son to swim. All was well. Kids were playing. My son kept to himself as he is prone to do, whatever. Or is it really whatever, because the only kids in the pool at the time were 4 White kids who basically ignored him until they warmed up to him a while later.

Too late!

My son played along with the kids for a while, but it was only to decide whether or not he liked their little activity. He liked the activity, then left them and proceeded to do it on his own. He finally catches back up with the kids who feel like playing with him some more. They plan what they are going to do and the group of White kids begin to delegate which "job" my son is going to do...

"Butler!"

"Elevator guy!"

Loved one: "No! He will NOT be the Butler! YOU can be the Butler! He will be your DOCTOR!"

"Ordinary guy on the side of the road!"

"DJ!"

These kids completely ignore the recommendation of "Doctor" nor do they consider another job similar to it. Instead they like the "blue-collar service worker" type for my son, because he is Black of course. I hate that my son was subjected to such BS. I hate that this wont be the last time. My kid is worth just as much as any kid, so it really pisses me off that the next generation still can't get it right. It's okay though, because God-willing, my son will blow those kids out of the water (pardon the pun) when he is an adult. They can rest on their laurels and complain how he only got his 3 degrees and million dollar salary through Affirmative Action or Welfare or something.

Whatever helps them sleep at night.
Sing children...

5 comments:

  1. unbelievable...it's maddening to watch the little ones have to deal with this mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I initially wrote this post, I was very angry. I am fine now. I have since discussed this episode with my son. He has a very forgiving spirit. He didn't really think much of it. I was just annoyed by it because I don't want him to ever get used to such ideas as he is not good enough to be anything else other than a stereotype. I will let him play with them again, because I don't believe that the kids meant any harm. My son has learned that he is to speak up for himself to kindly correct people when they make those kinds of errors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. he sounds like a brave little soul :)
    kids are way more forgiving than adults are...i learned a lot from them when i was teaching that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...they probably get those type of stereotypes more so from TV. It shows that parents really have to be proactive in their own kids imagination and potential. My life long goal is to run a program for junior high school kids to show them all the possible jobs and careers in the STEM fields (science, technology, education, and math.) Show them that there are more "successful" careers than just Doctors and lawyers. Unfortunately, most African-American children aren't readily exposed to these careers in their own family's as compared to many white children. Our communities really have to be conscious about fighting stereotypes and showing our children that their is more to our potential than just what they "see" the most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. legacymaker: exactly.

    We stress all STEM fields in our home. He has Lego Mindstorms to build robots and cars, there is a bit of programming involved as well, he must complete a page out of each reading, spelling, and math workbooks before he can play any video game. Instead of simply asking us questions, we encourage him to look up in-depth answers to his questions, and we teach him where to look to find information.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts