Search This Blog

Monday, August 28, 2006

Cool Crafts: Marbleous Magnets



These are magnets. Cute huh? I did this same project for my mother some years back and she STILL has them. She says,"They are some of the prettiest magnets" she has. I personally agree. For my mom's magnets, I found a lot of really nice patterns and symbols from magazines an newspapers. They match her home decor perfectly and add an additional source of interest in the kitchen.

They are made with glass beads with flat bottoms. Most people have them in a vase somewhere with their silk flowers. I've seen them at my local dollar store. The images you see could come from any kind of paper, and the magnets came from Wal-Mart(I picked some extremely strong ones). You can get your image anywhere, but here are some suggestions:

old magazines
free magazines
newspapers
used books
photographs
old maps
wrapping paper
fabric
clothing tags
food labels
catalogs
print-outs from copier/printer

Here are some ideas for the two Eids, Insha Allah:

The 99 Attributes of Allah
Names of the Prophet(saw)
Islamic Terms(alhamdulillah, Subhanallah, La ilaha il Allah)
Names of our Prophets and Messengers(asws)
Arabic letters and/or numbers
Family Trips
Favorite Foods

What I used:

clear silicone glue
heavy duty magnets
magazines and newspapers
flat-bottomed glass beads(I used clear, but you can use any color or several colors)

The Damage

The glue is the most expensive costing approximately $4.00 - $5.00.
The magnets only cost me about $1.00 for a pack of 8.
The flat-bottomed glass beads are about $1.00.
The paper was free of course.

See the step by step method at Not Martha.

Credits: Photo by
iamthechad's (Creative Commons License) & idea inspired by Not Martha .

1 comment:

  1. Salaams,
    Not Martha is the bomb... I used to read over there all the time. Cool projects.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts